Haiti is consistently ranked as one of the poorest countries in the world in terms of childhood conditions, mortality rate and poverty.
- 56% of the population suffers from malnutrition;
- 1 child out of 3 dies before the age of 5 from malnutrition and curable diseases;
- 80% of the population lives with less than 1$ a day;
- 1 child out of 2 does not go to school;
- The average life expectancy does not exceed 55 years of age;
- 70 % of the population is unemployed
The terrible earthquake of January 2010 injured 230,000-300,000 people and left 1 million people homeless. Today, the country has not yet overcome this catastrophe. In the meantime it has also been hit by cholera and by two hurricanes.
Today the country has not yet overcome this catastrophe. In the meantime it has also been hit by cholera and by two hurricanes.
There is a lack of infrastructures, sanitation, electricity and water supply. Public hospitals are lacking and are in totally degraded conditions.
Particularly in the slums, the situation is of a constant emergency. The access to water and to sanitation is made difficult by the inability of many people to move away from their restricted environment.
The capital Port au Prince is overcrowded and more than 60% of the inhabitants live in slums. Most of these people come from the provinces of the country and migrate in the hope to find better life conditions.
Outside the capital, the means of communication are poor, and some stretches are reacheble only by special vehicles or on foot. Therefore the food supply conditions and basic necessities are scarce, and the presence of institutions such as schools, hospitals and clinics is almost one tenth of that in Port au Prince. Families live off farming, herding, or, in places along the coast, fishing. There activities are often carried out without any planning or methodology.
This program will have a direct team of workers to teach, do rehearsals and take care of disciplinary actions.
- Team worker: 2 Music trainers, 1 Musician, 4 Supervisors.
- Standard number of students: 60 children
- Volunteer team in case of big events: 10 to 15 persons.
- The parents of the children.
- 12 000 students from all the St Luc schools.